Infuriating bug!!! I need help please.

I have finally encountered that frustrating bug that plagues SL users with Nvidia cards.  I have a Geforce 7600 GT, and I recently upgraded my ram, harddrive and OS to Vista 64 bit.  Now, I know my husband loaded the latest nvidia drivers, but now I have this problem.  To a designer, this is death!!

My shoe/sock textures are visible all up the legs of the avvie, I can’t see the pants I am wearing, and o, just as an aside, my ocean floor is pitch black.  Grrrr.

nvidia-bug.png

Help me please!  The future of SLink is at stake…

grilled_steak.jpg

Oh yes, I have rolled back to the Nvidia drive 175.16 but it doesn’t work.  Disabling Palletised textures and rebaking as per this Jira fixes it temporarily but I have to do this with every item I wear now.

16 thoughts on “Infuriating bug!!! I need help please.

1. ellantha November 13, 2008 at 10:41 PM

Advanced – Rendering – Features – Palletized Textures.

Rebake(cntrl+alt+R)

Wait.. maybe rebake again.

EVERY SINGLE TIME you log in. *makes a boo face at the lindens*

2. ellantha November 13, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Hmm.. I only have to do it once a login to fix the clothing/skin issue. I’m sorry Siddean. 8/

3. Siddean Munro November 13, 2008 at 10:43 PM

Thanks for your answer, so far this session I’ve had to do it twice, but I’ll keep an eye on it. It’s not ideal, but it will do for now 🙂

4. Marissa Goodliffe November 13, 2008 at 10:44 PM

As far as I know, there is no permanent fix until the client is updated again. I have had to do this same thing every time I log in and change clothing for a couple months now, and many others have been doing it a lot longer. The Linden on the case said next client update will have Palletized Textures removed and will fix the problem. I wonder what other 20 bugs THAT will cause. I’ll believe it when I see it!

No Linden faith here,
    Marissa

5. SunShine Kukulcan November 13, 2008 at 10:45 PM

You have to untick the palletized textures EVERY time you login.

Then rebake until the situation resolves itself.

Imagine me with 3 Nvidia GTX 280’s! I almost fainted the first time it happened to me.

SunShine

6. Stella Stapleton November 13, 2008 at 10:45 PM

I had the same problem when I updated the Nvidia graphics driver and downloaded the SL updated viewer. I rolled back both because it was so infuriating 🙂

7. Karla Scorbal November 13, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Hi,

If you have the last version of Second Life (1.21.6.99587), try the downgrade 😉

8. elka November 13, 2008 at 11:51 PM

Just dowgrade your drivers. If you have Windows XP, go to the rollback, it’s the safest way. I did it because it was driving me compleeeetely insane here as well. It’s ok now.

9. Phoenix Chapman November 14, 2008 at 2:56 AM

I had this, and once I rolled back my drivers it corrected itself.

10. nimil November 14, 2008 at 4:26 AM

this sort of thing happened to my boyfriend when he updated his card.. the fix you mentioned never worked and he did a roll back and it fixed it.. not sure why yours has not fixed after rolling back though 😦 i’m assuming you cleared your cache and everything…

11. Bianca Bender November 14, 2008 at 7:12 AM

Have you tried changing your water color under the advanced world settings. Just a thought. Goodluck!

12. Ana Lutetia November 14, 2008 at 11:54 AM

The drivers that work are the 178.13 and the SL viewer I am using I don’t have the issue: Second Life 1.19.1 (4) Mar 28 2008 13:54:38 (Happydays)

Here’s how you can use older versions of SL: http://tentacolor.com/2008/11/02/happy-days-old-viewers/
    And here’s my post about this issue: http://analutetia.com/thoughts/palletized-textures-issue-in-nvidia-drivers/

13. Ana Lutetia November 14, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Oops… I got my drivers here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/ because I couldn’t find at EVGA (Nvidia) website the version I wanted.

14. Leilani November 28, 2008 at 2:58 AM

Clear your cache.

15. jon benge January 10, 2009 at 5:14 AM

I had this issue using an nVidia 8400gs card and latest drivers. Using older drivers didn’t fix it either…

HOWEVER! I fixed it for good by editing appearing, shoes, changing the shoe base size to something random, saving, closing appearance, going back into appearance and changing shoe base value back to default.

16. Siddean Munro January 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM

I think it seems to have resolved itself and i am not entirely sure why. I stopped having to select palletized textures, but my ocean floor was still black, and then I turned down my graphics texture rendering from ultra to the step below and ‘lo, like magic it was fixed. Haven’t seen the issue for some weeks now. But thank you all for your response! If only LL were as responsive 🙂